I brought Vashti to the hospital this morning, where she will remain at least overnight, and possibly for the next few days. We're just not sure about anything at this point.She seemed to rally yesterday after the bad night she had on Tuesday. I had a sense last night that she wasn't feeling very well (Vashti has an incredibly expressive face), but her stomach seemed to have settled down. Laurence stayed up with her until 3:00am this morning and said that she seemed okay. But when I woke up this morning at 5:30, she was in bad shape. I brought her to the vet's office as soon as they opened--I considered bringing her immediately to the emergency hospital uptown, but decided it was worth waiting two hours to let her own doctors, who know her medical history intimately by now, take a look at her.
X-rays revealed an indeterminate mass in her intestines, which could be as grave as a tumor and as minor as having something swallowed some silly innocuous thing. They also found some bacteria in her system. Basically, there's so much ailing Vashti these days that we just don't know what's causing her immediate discomfort. But it's possible that it's something minor and unrelated to her other health problems--something that can be treated by us here at home with antibiotics or a medicine to soothe her tummy. She's going to have an ultrasound tomorrow, and we should know more then.
My vet says that she never expected Vashti to make the "miraculous" (her word, not mine) recovery that she made back in January--to gain as much weight or become as happy and relatively active as she did when she got home after first being diagnosed with the CRF and hyperthyroidism. Everybody who works there is united with Laurence and me in praying that Vashti has at least one more miraculous recovery left in her.
I went to see Toy Story 3 this afternoon (I just REALLY needed to get out of my own head for a while), and after frightening a few small children with my inappropriately loud and uncontrolled sobbing when (SPOILER ALERT) Andy says good-bye to his beloved toys before leaving for college, I'm feeling somewhat better. I think I needed a good cry. :-) I've been trying to hold it together these past few days but...it hasn't been easy.
Vashti is in good hands, and is receiving the best possible care. I know that she's sick and that she'll never be truly well again. But still, I humbly ask that I get to bring her back home one more time. I'm not ready to say good-bye just yet.
I'm hoping that Vashti isn't either. I'll keep you all posted.
Thank you for all your love and support these past few days. As always, I'm stronger for Vashti because all of you are so strong for me.